Monday, October 20, 2008

Energy Conservation in Japan

A colleague and friend of mine asked me to look for examples of ways the Japanese conserve energy or recycle. Do you know what this picture is? It is in my hotel room in Hiroshima. I use a small plastic card as a key to get into the room. You may have seen this in hotels in America. The card is the same size as a credit card, and it fits into a slot in the door. Well, in Japan, once I open the door I slide the key card into another slot in the wall. This activates the electricity in my room. Once I do this, I can turn lights on and off and use whatever I need. When it is time to leave, I have to take my key card out of the slot, which turns off ALL power to my room. It also resets the thermostat. It has been around 80 degrees F (about 26C) during the day in Hiroshima, so the room is automatically set to 25 degrees C (about 77F). I like it a little cooler, so while I'm in the room and the card is in the slot I can use a little bit of air conditioning. As soon as I remove the card, the thermostat resets to 25F. I'm finding that the Japanese do not overuse air conditioning the way we do, which is actually quite nice! I can't stand freezing when it is warm outside!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: