Saturday, October 4, 2008

More about the trip

Hi Everyone,

As I prepare for the trip, there is much to consider.
In Japan, there are two parts to the JFMF program: the Tokyo program and the Host City
program.
In Tokyo, I will have a brief tour of the capital and participate in formal and informal
lectures and discussions with many educators and people who have completed this program in the past.
During the Host City program, we will be broken into ten small groups. Each group will go to a different area in Japan. My group will be in Hiroshima. There is so much important history to learn about there! While we are there, we will visit elementary (grades 1-6), middle (grades 7-9) and high schools (grades 10-12), a teacher's college, cultural sites, a local industry, and participate in a home stay. We will also have informal meetings with teachers, students and parents.
I am excited to be staying overnight in the home of a Japanese family. I hope they will be able to speak English, because I can't speak any Japanese! One thing I am required to bring is a brand new pair of slippers. Why do you think I need to bring slippers? Take your best guess, and leave a comment! I'll let you know after I've heard some of your ideas!

Once I go, I will be posting pictures as often as I can, so be sure to check back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the number song! I wish I'd had that when I was on my way to Japan. I can't wait to follow your trip and see how it differs from my experience.

Have a wonderful time! We'll have to catch up when you get back. I'm sure you're swamped right now - trying to get ready.

Linda S
Hopewell School
Glastonbury, CT

Anonymous said...

So i learned to count in Japanese this morning, go figure

I am so proud of you Janine, what a wonderful opportunity this is
Mary Lou
ACES

Anonymous said...

Good luck Janine! I can't wait to hear about your journey and share it with my students. In math today I am going to share with them the counting song you posted!

Laura Esposito-Furcolo
Ridge Road Elementary
North Haven, CT
MSP Coach